Riding in the EU

RIDING IN THE EU – the latest on number plates

The most recent update from the UK Government – 28 September 2021 – states that you’ll need a UK sticker, instead of a GB sticker, to ride in the EU.

The only opt-out is if your number plate includes the UK identifier with the Union flag; then you do not need a UK sticker. However, you will need to display a UK sticker clearly on the rear of your bike if your number plate has any of the following:

· a GB identifier with the Union flag

· a Euro symbol

· a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales

· numbers and letters only – no flag or identifier

If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a UK sticker no matter what is on your number plate.
If you want to ride in Ireland though, you won’t need to bother…

And in a case of wonderful joined-up thinking and beautiful irony, if you are from Northern Ireland you’ll need a GB sticker, not a UK one.

As for insurance, it’s now confirmed that your UK insurance policy will provide ‘third party only’ cover in all EU countries, as well as Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland.

And finally, you do need to carry your bike registration document (V5C) and your licence with you at all times.